Monday, November 06, 2006

A NEWS JUNKIE'S TAKE ON BODY LANGUAGE

I'm a news junkie, especially during election season. Not real sure what the big draw is, but there you have it. You can find me glued to cable news every evening as I make dinner, clean the house, and fall asleep. I like to think it's because I'm an informed citizen, but really, it's gone way beyond that. You know all the talk about elections and campaigns? I'm not sick of it, but my family is. So, on the weekends I curtail my news viewing. By Monday morning I'm waiting to find out what happened on Sunday. This morning I was seriously ready to wrangle control of the TV away from my kids and Sesame Street so I could get caught up on news, because, kids don't need TV anyway, right? Sad, eh? (Just so you know, I didn't!)

Last week I was watching a news analysis show and there was a topic that caught my particular interest: body language. In the segment they analyzed interviewer/interviewee body language, and what the subtle implications were, and what they were each actually saying to one another.

Of course my writerly mind kicked into gear, and I started looking up body language websites in the hope of gleaning info to enhance my stories. There are tons of sites, and mountains of info to sift through, but I think incorporating body language--especially into my dialogue beats--will bring more realism to my characters.

Did you know:

*hands clasped behind the back indicate anger, frustration, and apprehension. In fact, I had a boss who did this a lot with me. Who knew I made him so frustrated? (Sorry Mr. M, wherever you are!)

*touching or slightly rubbing the nose indicates lying.

*rubbing the eye indicates doubt and disbelief.

I got those examples from this site. I spent way too much time on the next site which deals with romance and flirting. You see, I've been married for five years, so I've forgotten some of these non-verbal signals. Anyone writing romance, or any book with boy/girl exchanges should check itout. (BTW, I haven't looked all over the site because it's too big, hopefully you won't find anything objectionable!)

I hope you have as much fun with the body language as I did! And if you find another website with good body language tips, let me know:)


P.S. Don't forget to schedule time to vote tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm currently reading Angela Hunt's book "The Immortal" where the heroine is a jury consultant who is an expert in body language. It's fascinating stuff.

I'm actually sick unto death of mudslinging campaign ads and phone calls from every party known to man. I can't wait to vote.

GeorgianaD said...

Oh the phone calls--those I do not like! I can't wait to vote too, except that I need to read up on the propositions. There are several (19 to be exact) and I'm not familiar with all of them yet.

SydneyDawn said...

I don't mind the political talk, what I mind are the ads where candidates talk nothing but trash about their opponents, and never once discuss the real issues or their voting records behind those issues.

I'll be happy when it's over.

Anonymous said...

I'm not much on watching the political news...(hanging head in shame)...I like to *sometimes* read up on candidates and propositions and such, but I don't like to watch anything about it. It's all that mudslinging. I think it's childish and ridiculous and it makes me mad at both parties and not want to vote for either one. So I try to stay away from that side of everything.

Add to Technorati Favorites