Monday, December 03, 2012

Don't Call My Baby Ugly

The gritty need for approval--it's in all of us in some form or another. Sure, we can block it out from time to time. We might even get "spiritual" enough to rely solely on God for approval. (I'm not there yet. I've seen snippets, but haven't walked in it fully.)

Now that early reviews of my book are trickling in, I'm starting to get that niggling feeling of what-if-they-don't-like-it. Digging deeper, I'm not certain why I care. Is it because of the time and effort that went into it? Is it because I've laid a part of myself out there for everyone to judge and review? Or is it that I can't separate my work from me as a person?

We've all felt the slam of a bad comment or review, maybe from a coworker, teacher, boss or actual reviewer. And yet....we press on. Put ourselves out there again. Some people refer to that type of behavior as being a glutton for punishment.

But I have a different thought...

Just maybe we see that there's a higher purpose for what we're doing. There's a core belief in what we have to offer that's stronger than the criticisms. A deep knowing that the fruit that's produced in our lives and as a result of our work is worth the risk.

So I press on. I plan to send out a proposal this week. I'll forge ahead with what I know needs to happen. Keep doing the next thing next.

But I can't help thinking, "Please don't call my baby ugly!"

3 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

lol Kudos for sending out another proposal!
Just take deep breaths like you are and know that most likely for every one person who might not like it, there are ten who will. :-) *hugs*

Erica Vetsch said...

It's hard. And I never think about it while I'm writing the book, or editing the book, or waiting for the book's release. It isn't until I start reading the reviews on blogs and bookstore sites that I find myself getting squinchy about what people will say. I want people to like it because I like it, because I worked so hard on it, and I think it has merit.

Congrats on sending out that proposal!

Julie Jarnagin said...

I think this might be one of the reasons God wanted me to be a writer--he has so many lessons to teach me about where I look for my approval. Good luck with your release and your proposal!

Add to Technorati Favorites